Industry & agency oversight
If an Australian Government agency has treated you unfairly or unreasonably, we can help you find a solution. Our service is free and we are independent.
We make sure the actions of agencies are fair and responsible by:
- handling complaints
- conducting investigations
- performing audits and inspections
- encouraging good administration.
We have specialist oversight of:
We are also responsible for:
- oversight of the Commonwealth Public Interest Disclosure scheme
- inspecting and reporting on law enforcement agencies’ compliance in using certain covert, intrusive, and coercive powers.
We have two specialist roles related to the United Nations Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT):
- The National Preventive Mechanism (NPM) Coordinator
- The NPM for places of detention under the control of the Commonwealth
We also have an International program that promotes:
- best practice in complaint-handling
- good government administration in our region.