Disclosures about Commonwealth Ombudsman

The information below is for people wishing to make a disclosure about the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman (the Office). To make a disclosure about the Office you must:

  • be a public official or former public official
  • make the disclosure to your supervisor or manager, or an authorised officer of the Office
  • provide information that tends to show, or which you believe on reasonable grounds tends to show, one or more instances of disclosable conduct.

Our Office has procedures for accepting and dealing with Public Interest Disclosures (PIDs) relating to the Office.

How to make a PID about the Ombudsman’s Office

If you would like to make a PID about our Office you can:

  • Email us at PID@ombudsman.gov.au. In the subject line, state that your PID is about the Ombudsman’s Office.
  • Phone our Office on 1300 362 072 and follow the relevant prompts.
  • Write to us at GPO Box 442, Canberra ACT 2601. Mark any envelopes or external covers 'Confidential—Ombudsman PID' and address them to the 'PID Team'.

Who can I talk to about making a disclosure

You can discuss making a disclosure with your supervisor or manager, or you can contact the:

  • Chief Operating Officer, or
  • Director of the Public Interest Disclosure Team.

Putting PIDs in writing

While you are not required to make a PID in writing, there can be benefits in doing so. Setting things out in writing gives you the opportunity to explain the particular issues you have, without the risk of missing anything relevant or being misunderstood. If there is any confusion or uncertainty surrounding a written PID we can, if you provide your contact details, call you to clarify matters.

What will happen with your PID?

An authorised officer will be responsible for handling your PID in the first instance. For general information on what will happen with your PID, please see the procedures for facilitating and dealing with public interest disclosures relating to the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

PIDs about other agencies

Our Office is also authorised to receive PIDs in relation to other government agencies. If you would like to make a PID about another agency, please refer to the information on the information for disclosers webpage.