International student complaints

This video explains what we do. Watch the video in other languages.

Complaints we can look into

We can look into complaints from international students who are currently studying, previously studied, or are planning to study with private education providers on a student visa.

Issues we can look into include:

  • course fees and refunds
  • transfers between courses or providers
  • intention to report to Home Affairs for unsatisfactory course progress or attendance
  • cancellation of enrolment
  • deferment and suspension of studies
  • incorrect advice given by an education agent
  • refusing admission to a course
  • your private education provider’s handling of your complaint or appeal, including complaints about: 
    • grades and assessments
    • academic misconduct decisions
  • Overseas Student Health Cover.

Complaints we cannot look into

There are some issues we cannot help with. These include complaints about:

  • public education providers, such as TAFEs, public primary and secondary (high) schools, and most universities
  • the academic merit of your grade or mark for an assessment task
  • bullying, harassment or behaviour of other students
  • problems from students on visas other than a student visa (subclass 500), such as professional year courses Graduate visa holders (subclass 476 and 485)
  • discrimination
  • privacy
  • quality of teaching
  • qualifications and experience of teachers
  • resources or equipment available at your provider
  • buildings and facilities at your provider.

Is your complaint about one of the things we can’t look into?

We have a list of other ombudsmen and agencies that may help you.

We have information for education providers.

Frequently asked questions?

We also: