Other agencies that handle complaints
To read more about what the Commonwealth Ombudsman can assist you with click here.
Below is information and links to agencies and services that can assist you.
Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)
The AFCA is the dispute resolution scheme for financial services. It considers complaints that previously would have been handled by the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Credit and Investments Ombudsman and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal. AFCA considers complaints about financial services including banking, credit, loans, general insurance, life insurance, financial planning, investments, stock broking, managed funds and pooled superannuation trusts.
Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW
Provides an independent way of resolving customer complaints about all electricity and gas suppliers in New South Wales and some water suppliers.
Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) (EWOV)
Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria has the power to investigate and resolve disputes between Victorian consumers and their electricity, gas and water companies.
Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland
Provides complaint investigation and dispute resolution services to residential and small business energy customers across Queensland and water customers in South East Queensland.
Energy and Water Industry Ombudsman SA
Investigates and resolves disputes between South Australian electricity and gas customers and their providers.
Energy Ombudsman TAS
Investigates and resolves disputes between Tasmanian energy customers and their providers.
Energy and Water Ombudsman WAInvestigates and facilitates the resolution of complaints from residential and small business customers in Western Australia about their electricity or gas company.
Investigates and resolves disputes between employers and employees. Investigates breaches of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth).
Produce and Grocery Industry Ombudsman
Resolves disputes over supply of fresh produce and processed foods to markets and retailers.
Public Transport Ombudsman VIC
Deals with complaints about Victorian public transport that members of the community have been unable to resolve directly with the public transport operators.
Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
Deals with complaints that consumers have not been able to resolve with their telephone or Internet company.
You can make complaints about the actions or decisions of state or territory governments by contacting your state or territory government Ombudsman or equivalent office holder in your state or territory.
People with complaints about ACT Government agencies can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman who is also the ACT Ombudsman.
For complaints about the administrative actions of ACT Government agencies and public education providers.
For complaints about Northern Territory government departments and agencies.
For complaints about Tasmanian government departments, and agencies, local government, and state-owned businesses.
For complaints about South Australian Government and local government agencies.
For complaints about most levels of Victorian state and local government.
For complaints about Western Australian government agencies, statutory authorities, local governments and public universities.
For complaints about NSW government departments, councils and statutory authorities.
For complaints about Queensland state agencies, local councils and public universities.
- Northern Territory Health and Community Services Complaints Commission
- WA Health and Disability Services Complaints Office
- Tasmanian Health Complaints Commissioner
- Victorian Health Complaints Commissioner
- QLD Office of the Health Ombudsman
- NSW Health Care Complaints Commission
- ACT Health Services Complaints
- Northern Territory Anti-Discrimination Commission
- ACT Human Rights and Discrimination Commissioner
- Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- QLD Anti-Discrimination Commission
- Australian Human Rights Commission
- WA Equal Opportunity Commission
- Equal Opportunity Tasmania
- SA Equal Opportunity Commission
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Australia's central federal agency for freedom of information, privacy and information policy issues. Handles complaints from people who think their personal information, including health information, has been mishandled by an Australian or ACT Government agency or a private sector organisation.
- the Privacy Commissioner who investigates complaints about breaches of privacy
- the Australian Human Rights Commission which investigates complaints about discrimination because of race, sex or disability, or
- one of the other avenues of Australian government administrative review.
In some cases, it may be more appropriate for your complaint to be investigated by:
Review bodies include the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, and the Veterans' Review Board. Each of these agencies can review the merits of an agency's decision, and they also have the power to change a decision.
Administrative Appeals Tribunal
Provides independent review of a wide range of administrative decisions made by the Australian government and some non-government bodies.
Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission
Investigates complaints about Australian Government-subsidised aged care services (including residential and community care services).
Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity
Investigates allegations of corruption in the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Crime Commission, including abuse of office, conduct that perverts the course of justice, or corruption of any other kind.
Australian Human Rights Commission
Investigates complaints of discrimination or breaches of human rights under federal laws.
Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security
Investigates complaints about the actions/decisions of the organisations comprising the Australian intelligence community.
Inspector-General of Taxation
Investigates complaints concerning tax administration action by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). NOTE: complaints concerning Freedom of Information or Public Interest Disclosure matters relating to the ATO and TPB remain the responsibility of the Commonwealth Ombudsman. Click here for further information.
Veteran's Review Board
An independent tribunal that exists to review decisions made by the Repatriation Commission under the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (Cth) and determinations under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth).
- Asian Ombudsman Association
- Australian and New Zealand Ombudsman Association
- British and Irish Ombudsman Association
- OmbudsNet - Integrated Information and Communication System for Ombudsman Offices in Latin America and the Caribbean (offline)
- Pacific Ombudsman Alliance
- The European Ombudsman Institute
- The Forum of Canadian Ombudsmen
- The International Ombudsman Institute
- The United States Ombudsman Association
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: Western Australia
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: Australian Capital Territory
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: New South Wales
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: Northern Territory
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: Queensland
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: South Australia
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: Tasmania
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: Victoria
- Free, fair and independent dispute resolution: New Zealand