Making a complaint

The Commonwealth Ombudsman deals with:

Complaints about Commonwealth Government departments and agencies, and is also the Ombudsman for:

For information about our role please visit the About us page

Most complaints about the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) must be directed to the Inspector-General of Taxation (IGT). Click here for further information.

Make a complaint to the Commonwealth Ombudsman


The office is open 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time.

  • Complaints: 1300 362 072 (Calls from mobile phones are charged at mobile phone rates)
  • Indigenous Line: 1800 060 789
  • Norfolk Island:1800 1354
  • Overseas callers +61 2 6276 0111


We are working to improve our services to you and have engaged Customer Service Benchmarking Australia (CSBA) to survey people who have contacted the Office about our performance in late 2019 and early 2020. Completion of the survey is voluntary and any information you provide will be kept secure and confidential. Please see the attached Frequently Asked Questions document for further information.

Make a Complaint using our online complaint form


Commonwealth Ombudsman

GPO Box 442

Canberra ACT 2601


View the Commonwealth Ombudsman Privacy Statement

View the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman Privacy Statement

Services available to assist you to make a complaint

If you are a non-English speaking person, we can help through the Translating and Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450.

If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service:

  • TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 362 072
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 362 072
  • Internet Relay users connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 362 072

We have information sheets in many community languages and can provide copies of a large print information booklet.

If you need another kind of support to make a complaint, please let our staff know and they will do their best to help you. This might include giving you extra time to explain your complaint, making an appointment to talk to someone in person, or asking us to contact another person to get more information about your complaint.