The Commonwealth Ombudsman deals with:
Complaints about Commonwealth Government departments and agencies, and is also the Ombudsman for:
- Private Health Insurance
- Overseas Students with private education providers
- the Defence Force
- Law Enforcement
- the Postal Industry
- the Australian Capital Territory (see ombudsman.act.gov.au)
For information about our role please visit the About us page
Most complaints about the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) must be directed to the Inspector-General of Taxation (IGT). Click here for further information.
Make a complaint to the Commonwealth Ombudsman
The office is open 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time.
- Complaints: 1300 362 072 (Calls from mobile phones are charged at mobile phone rates)
- Indigenous Line: 1800 060 789
- Norfolk Island:1800 1354
- Overseas callers +61 2 6276 0111
Make a Complaint using our online complaint form
GPO Box 442
Canberra ACT 2601
View the Commonwealth Ombudsman Privacy Statement
View the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman Privacy Statement
Services available to assist you to make a complaint
If you are a non-English speaking person, we can help through the Translating and Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450.
If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service:
- TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 362 072
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 362 072
- Internet Relay users connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 362 072
We have information sheets in many community languages and can provide copies of a large print information booklet.