Private Health Insurance
|Medibank Cyber Incident
If you are a current or former Medibank or AHM member, please refer to Medibank’s website for the latest advice and updates:
The Department of Health has also published advice on how to receive mental health support if you are impacted:
The Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman (the Office) protects the interests of private health insurance consumers. We carry out this role in many ways, including:
- resolving complaints through our independent complaint handling service
- identifying underlying problems of private health insurers or health care providers
- providing advice to government and industry about issues affecting consumers in relation to private health insurance
- providing advice and recommendations to government and industry about private health insurance, including the performance of the sector and the nature of complaints
- managing PrivateHealth.gov.au, Australia’s leading source of independent information about private health insurance for consumers.
Complaints must be about a health insurance arrangement.
The Office cannot take complaints about the quality of service or treatment provided by a health professional or a hospital. These complaints should be directed to the health care complaints body for your state or territory.
Our service is free to consumers. We are independent and impartial. We do not represent consumers, insurers, hospitals or health services.
We also offer important consumer information and advice on private health insurance through:
- the consumer website PrivateHealth.gov.au
- annual State of the Health Funds Report
- Quarterly Updates
- a range of brochures and factsheets
Before you make a complaint
You should try to resolve the complaint with your private health insurer before contacting us.
How to make a complaint
Contact us if you, or someone you know, has an issue or complaint about a private health insurer.
Visit our publications page for annual report information, facts and advice, brochures and more.
Visit PrivateHealth.gov.au for independent private health insurance information and to compare health insurance policies from every Australian health insurer.
Subscribe to our newsletter