To read more about what the Commonwealth Ombudsman can assist you with click here.
Below is information and links to agencies and services that can assist you.
The Australian Government Entry Point provides a full listing of Australian Government departments and agencies with information about their respective roles and responsibilities and links to their websites.
Industry sponsored Ombudsmen
- Credit Ombudsman
The Credit Ombudsman Service Limited (COSL) is the external dispute resolution scheme for the non-bank credit industry, approved by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
- Employee Ombudsman (SA)
Provides advice and assistance to South Australian employees.
- Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW
Provides an independent way of resolving customer complaints about all electricity and gas suppliers in New South Wales and some water suppliers.
- Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) (EWOV)
Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria has the power to investigate and resolve disputes between Victorian consumers and their electricity, gas and water companies.
- Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland
Provides complaint investigation and dispute resolution services to residential and small business energy customers across Queensland and water customers in south east Queensland.
- Energy and Water Industry Ombudsman SA
Investigates and resolves disputes between South Australian electricity and gas customers and their providers.
- Energy Ombudsman TAS
Investigates and resolves disputes between Tasmanian energy customers and their providers.
- Energy Ombudsman WA
Investigates and facilitates the resolution of complaints from residential and small business customers in Western Australia about their electricity or gas company.
- Financial Ombudsman Service
Financial Ombudsman Service is an independent external dispute resolution service which you can use if you are unable to resolve your dispute through your financial service provider's internal dispute resolution process. The independent dispute resolution processes cover complaints about financial services including banking, credit, loans, general insurance, life insurance, financial planning, investments, stock broking, managed funds and pooled superannuation trusts.
- Produce and Grocery Industry Ombudsman
Resolves disputes over supply of fresh produce and processed foods to markets and retailers.
- Public Transport Ombudsman VIC
Deals with complaints about Victorian public transport that members of the community have been unable to resolve directly with the public transport operators.
- Superannuation Complaints Tribunal
An independent Tribunal set up by the Australian Government to deal with complaints about superannuation funds, annuities and deferred annuities, and Retirement Savings Accounts.
- Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
Deals with complaints that consumers have not been able to resolve with their telephone or Internet company.
State and Territory Ombudsmen
You can make complaints about the actions or decisions of state or territory governments by contacting your state or territory government Ombudsman or equivalent office holder in your state or territory.
People with complaints about ACT Government agencies can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman who is also the ACT Ombudsman.
For complaints about the administrative actions of ACT Government agencies and public education providers.
For complaints about Northern Territory government departments and agencies.
For complaints about Tasmanian government departments, and agencies, local government, and state-owned businesses.
For complaints about South Australian Government and local government agencies.
For complaints about most levels of Victorian state and local government.
For complaints about Western Australian government agencies, statutory authorities, local governments and public universities.
For complaints about NSW government departments, councils and statutory authorities.
For complaints about Queensland state agencies, local councils and public universities.
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Northern Territory Consumer Affairs
- ACT Fair Trading
- NSW Fair Trading
- QLD Fair Trading
- SA Consumer and Business Services
- WA Consumer Protection
- Consumer Affairs Victoria
- Tasmania Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading
- Northern Territory Health and Community Services Complaints Commission
- WA Health and Disability Services Complaints Office
- Tasmanian Health Complaints Commissioner
- Victorian Health Complaints Commissioner
- QLD Office of the Health Ombudsman
- NSW Health Care Complaints Commission
- ACT Health Services Complaints
Banking, financial, superannuation, insurance complaints
Discrimination, human rights complaints
- Northern Territory Anti-Discrimination Commission
- ACT Human Rights and Discrimination Commissioner
- Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- QLD Anti-Discrimination Commission
- Australian Human Rights Commission
- WA Equal Opportunity Commission
- Equal Opportunity Tasmania
- SA Equal Opportunity Commission
Privacy – complaints about private sector and Commonwealth government
Legal services complaints
- NSW Office of the Legal Services Commissioner
- Legal Services Commission of SA
- QLD Legal Services Commission
- ACT Law Society
- WA Legal Practice Board
- Victoria Legal Serviced Board and Commissioner
- Legal Profession Board of Tasmania
Disability services complaints
Other complaint handling review agencies
In some cases, it may be more appropriate for your complaint to be investigated by:
- the Privacy Commissioner who investigates complaints about breaches of privacy
- the Australian Human Rights Commission which investigates complaints about discrimination because of race, sex or disability, or
- one of the other avenues of Australian government administrative review.
Review bodies include the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, and the Veterans' Review Board. Each of these agencies can review the merits of an agency's decision, and they also have the power to change a decision.
- Administrative Appeals Tribunal
Provides independent review of a wide range of administrative decisions made by the Australian government and some non-government bodies.
- Aged Care Complaints Resolution Scheme
Investigates complaints about Australian Government-subsidised aged care services (including residential and community care services).
- The Aged Care Commissioner
Investigates complaints from people who believe the Aged Care Complaints Resolution Scheme has treated them unfairly.
- Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity
Investigates allegations of corruption in the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Crime Commission, including abuse of office, conduct that perverts the course of justice, or corruption of any other kind.
- Australian Human Rights Commission
Investigates complaints of discrimination or breaches of human rights under federal laws.
- Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security
Investigates complaints about the actions/decisions of the organisations comprising the Australian intelligence community.
- Inspector-General of Taxation
Investigates complaints concerning tax administration action by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). NOTE: complaints concerning Freedom of Information or Public Interest Disclosure matters relating to the ATO and TPB remain the responsibility of the Commonwealth Ombudsman. Click here for further information.
- National Anti-Discrimination Information Gateway
To assist individuals and businesses to navigate discrimination laws, this Gateway provides a snapshot of each anti-discrimination system including information about the grounds and areas of public life on which a complaint can be made in each jurisdiction.
- Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Australia's central federal agency for freedom of information, privacy and information policy issues.
- Privacy Commissioner
Handles complaints from people who think their personal information, including health information, has been mishandled by an Australian or ACT Government agency or a private sector organisation.
- Veteran's Review Board
An independent tribunal that exists to review decisions made by the Repatriation Commission under the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (Cth) and determinations under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth).
- Austrian Ombudsman Board
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- European Ombudsman
- Hong Kong
- The Netherlands
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Peru (offline)
- The Philippines
- Republic of China/ Taiwan/ Chinese Taipei
- Republic of Ukraine
- South Africa
- Sweden (Parliamentary Ombudsman)
- The United Kingdom
- Asian Ombudsman Association
- Australian and New Zealand Ombudsman Association
- British and Irish Ombudsman Association
- OmbudsNet - Integrated Information and Communication System for Ombudsman Offices in Latin America and the Caribbean (offline)
- Pacific Ombudsman Alliance
- The European Ombudsman Institute
- The Forum of Canadian Ombudsmen
- The International Ombudsman Institute
- The United States Ombudsman Association
You may also find the following links helpful:
A complete A-Z: www.complaintline.com.au/categories.html