- The Office received 46,494 approaches, 12% more than last year. 68.5% of complaints were finalised within 90 days.
- We published 7 investigation reports across various jurisdictions.
- We received 3,790 postal industry complaints, a 10 percent decrease from last year.
- We received 1,528 complaints about the National Disability Insurance Agency, 256 percent increase from the 429 complaints received last year.
- 81% of people who complained to the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman were satisfied with the handling of their complaint.
- 737 public interest disclosures were received by agencies, with 313 cases being investigated and 207 recommendations made.
- The Office conducted 71 inspections/reviews of the use of covert, intrusive or coercive powers by law enforcement and regulatory agencies.
- We received 457 reports of serious abuse in Defence. Over 95% of people reporting to us felt supported through their engagement with our Office.
- We received 6,397 complaints relating to the new VET Student Loans Ombudsman function.
- LETTER OF TRANSMITTAL
- GUIDE TO THE REPORT
- Part 1: REVIEW BY THE OMBUDSMAN
- Growth in complaints
- Defence reparation payment
- New function–VET Student Loans Ombudsman (VSLO)
- National Disability Insurance Agency
- Leadership of the Office
- Part 2: OVERVIEW OF THE OFFICE
- Roles and functions
- Our purpose
- Outcome and programs
- Organisational structure
- Senior Leadership Group
- Part 3: REPORT ON PERFORMANCE
- Complaints overview
- Performance overview
- Financial performance
- Part 4: WHAT WE DO
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Social Services
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Department of Health
- National Disability Insurance Agency
- Department of Jobs and Small Business
- Indigenous Australians
- Immigration Ombudsman
- Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT)
- Law Enforcement Ombudsman
- Inspections of covert, intrusive or coercive powers
- Defence Force Ombudsman
- Public Interest Disclosure Scheme
- International Program
- Postal Industry Ombudsman
- Overseas Students Ombudsman
- VET Student Loans Ombudsman
- Private Health Insurance Ombudsman
- Part 5: MANAGEMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- Corporate governance
- External scrutiny
- Management of human resources
- Advertising campaigns
- Exempt contracts
- Compliance reporting
- Asset management
- Part 6: APPENDICES
- Appendix 1 – Statistics
- Appendix 2 – Financial Statements
- Appendix 3 – Annual Performance Statement
- Appendix 4 – Information Publication Scheme
- Appendix 5 – Entity Resources Statement
- Appendix 6 – Ecologically Sustainable Development and Environmental Performance
- Appendix 7 – Correction of material errors in previous annual report
- Appendix 8 – Public Interest Disclosures
- Part 7: REFERENCES
- List of tables and figures
- List of requirements
Date of publication: October 2018
Publisher: Commonwealth Ombudsman, Canberra Australia
© Commonwealth of Australia 2018
All material presented in this publication is provided under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia licence (creativecommons.org/licences).
This material may be copied, distributed, transmitted or adapted (including for commercial purposes) provided the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman is credited as the creator and is not represented as endorsing your use of the material.
To avoid doubt, this licence only applies to the material as set out in this document.
The details of the relevant licence conditions are available on the Creative Commons website, as is the full legal code for the CC BY 3.0 AU licence (creativecommons.org/licences/by/3.0/au).
Under the Coat of Arms–the terms under which the Australian Coat of Arms may be used are detailed on the It's an Honour website (itsanhonour.gov.au).
Design: Papercut Graphic Design