The information below is for people wishing to make a disclosure about the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman (the Office). To make a disclosure about the Office you must:
- be a public official or former public official
- make the disclosure to your supervisor or manager, or an authorised officer of the Office
- provide information that tends to show, or which you believe on reasonable grounds tends to show, one or more instances of disclosable conduct.
Our Office has procedures for accepting and dealing with Public Interest Disclosures (PIDs) relating to the Office.
If you would like to make a PID about our Office you can:
- Write to us at GPO Box 442, Canberra ACT 2601. Mark any envelopes or external covers 'Confidential—Ombudsman PID' and address them to the 'PID Team'.
- Email us at PID@ombudsman.gov.au. In the subject line, state that your PID is about the Ombudsman’s Office.
Phone our Office on 1300 362 072 and follow the relevant prompts.
You can discuss making a disclosure with your supervisor or manager, or you can contact the:
- Chief Operating Officer, or
- Director of the Public Interest Disclosure Team.
While you are not required to make a PID in writing, there can be benefits in doing so. Setting things out in writing gives you the opportunity to explain the particular issues you have, without the risk of missing anything relevant or being misunderstood. If there is any confusion or uncertainty surrounding a written PID we can, if you provide your contact details, call you to clarify matters.
An authorised officer will be responsible for handling your PID in the first instance. For general information on what will happen with your PID, please see the procedures for facilitating and dealing with public interest disclosures relating to the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
For further information or assistance regarding the Public Interest Disclosure (PID), phone 02 6276 3777 or email PID@ombudsman.gov.au