VET Student Loans

The Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman investigates complaints about problems that VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans students have with their provider in Australia. Our services are free, independent an impartial—we do not take sides. To find out how to apply for a VET Student Loan, go to StudyAssist.

How we can help you

We can help students studying a:

  • diploma
  • advanced diploma
  • graduate certificate
  • graduate diploma course.

We can also help students who:

  • have used the VET FEE-HELP or the VET Student Loans programs to cover the cost of
  • their studies, in full or in part
  • believe they may have a VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans debt they should not have
  • feel that their VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan approved provider has treated them unfairly.

Before you make a complaint

Click here to find information on how we can help.

You should try to resolve the complaint with your provider before contacting us. Click here to read more about what to do before making a complaint to us.

If your provider has closed and there is no one representing them, we may be able to consider your complaint through the VET FEE-HELP Student Redress Measures. After 1 January 2021, changes to the measures mean you will need to tell us why you haven’t made your complaint before 31 December 2020.

Read our factsheet to find out more.

Code of Practice 

On 30 June 2021, our Office published a VET Student Loans Code of Practice (Code) for VET Student Loans approved providers. The Code is voluntary and providers are invited to become signatories to the Code as a commitment to best practice service and complaint management, relating to VET student loans. While the Code has been developed specifically for providers, it does include tips for students when making a complaint to their provider. A copy of the Code is available here and on our dedicated VET.Ombudsman website here.

Contact us

If you, or someone you know, have an issue or complaint about your VET FEE-HELP or VET Student Loans training provider you can contact us here.