- Nov 2008: Centrelink and Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and forestry—Claim and review processes in administering the Equine Influenza Business Assistance Grant (Third payment) - 13|2008
The Commonwealth Ombudsman’s office received complaints from five businesses regarding decisions made by Centrelink and the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) on their claims for the third Equine Influenza Business Assistance Grant (EIBAG).
- Oct 2008: Australian Federal Police: Use of powers under the Intoxicated People (Care and Protection) Act 1994 - 11|2008
This is the Ombudsman’s third own motion investigation and report on the Australian Federal Police’s exercise of powers under the Intoxicated People (Care and Protection) Act.
- Aug 2008: Australian Crime Commission: Use of certain powers under division 2, part 2 of the ACC Act - 10|2008
Report on the ACC’s use of certain examination powers under division 2, part II of the ACC Act 2002, focusing on summonses and notices issued under ss 28 and 29 of the Act.
- Aug 2008: Centrelink: Arrangements for the withdrawal of face-to-face contact with customers - 09|2008
The Commonwealth Ombudsman received a range of complaints from Centrelink customers who had been banned from entering Centrelink offices because of past inappropriate behaviour. The investigation report identifies areas of difficulty and the development of national guidelines for use by Centrelink when arranging withdrawal of face-to-face contact with its customers.
- Aug 2008: Australian Federal Police: Engagement of consultant - 08|2008
Commonwealth Ombudsman report on investigation into AFP’s procurement guidelines for engaging consultants.
- Jul 2008: Department of Immigration of Citizenship: The Safeguards System - 07|2008
This own motion investigation was conducted to determine whether DIAC had sufficient checks and balances in place to ensure the Safeguards System is being used appropriately and that it is a reasonably accountable and transparent system.
- Jun 2008: Department of Immigration and Citizenship: Timeliness of decision making under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 - 06|2008
In 2005 the Ombudsman received a number of complaints about significant delays by DIAC in processing freedom of information requests.
- Jun 2008: Implementation of job capacity assessments for the purposes of the Welfare to Work initiatives: Examination of administration of current work capacity assessment mechanisms - 05|2008
The Ombudsman’s office received 140 complaints relating to the job capacity assessment (JCA) process. Although complaints varied, common themes were identified, and the report focuses on these issues and current JCA practices and procedures and their impact on customers.
- Apr 2008: Damage caused to inbound international postal items: The Roles of Australia Post, Australian Customs Service, and Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service - 04|2008
Commonwealth Ombudsman; Postal Industry:
The Ombudsman’s office receives complaints each year about damaged inbound international mail items. The damage may have been caused while the item was in the mail stream either inside or outside Australia, or during border inspection. We decided to conduct an investigation to clarify the responsibilities of the three agencies involved in the processing of inbound international mail—Australia Post, the Australian Customs Service and the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service.
- Apr 2008: Department of Defence—Allegations concerning the HMAS Westralia fire - 03|2008
Report into Commonwealth and Defence Force Ombudsman, Prof. John McMillan into allegations that Defence was forewarned about safety risks to HMAS Westralia three months before the 5 May 1998 fire.
Appendix C—Transcript of the 6 February 1998 meeting between IGD investigators and Baileys Diesel Services P/L
- Apr 2008: Department of Immigration and Citizenship—Administration of detention debt waiver and write-off - 02|2008
Overall, the Ombudsman’s investigation found that DIAC is administering debt waiver and write-off according to the legislative and policy requirements. However, the investigation also found scope for improvement. In particular, DIAC can improve the information it provides to people, timeliness and prioritisation in processing cases, and the consistency and reasonableness of decisions on debt waiver and write-off.
- Feb 2008: Centrelink—Payment of independent rate of youth allowance to a young person - 01|2008
This is an abridged version of report 01|2008. The full report has not been made publicly available to preserve the privacy of the complainant.
- 2008 State of the Health Funds Report
Private Health Insurance:
Provides comparative information on the performance and service delivery of health funds
- Taxation Ombudsman activities 2008
Taxation Ombudsman activities