- Dec 2009: Department of Finance and Deregulation: Processing of an FOI application - 20|2009
This report deals with an investigation into a complaint from a journalist about the Department of Finance and Deregulation (Finance) and their administration of the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act).
- Dec 2009: Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry: Administration of various grant schemes - 19|2009
Between May and October 2008, the Ombudsman’s office received a number of complaints about three executive grant schemes: Murray-Darling Basin Irrigation Management Grant (IMG), Tobacco Grower Adjustment Assistance Package 2006 (TGAAP), and Exceptional Circumstances Exit Grant Package 2007 (Exit Grant). DAFF is responsible for developing the policy guidelines for these grant schemes.
- Northern Territory Emergency Response (NTER): Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs asbestos surveys: Communication issues, December 2009
Commonwealth Ombudsman; Indigenous:
The Commonwealth Ombudsman’s office received two complaints about asbestos surveys, each from a different community. The first complaint was received in September 2008 and the second in March 2009. Both complaints expressed concerns about a lack of communication of the results of the asbestos surveys.
- Dec 2009: Australian Federal Police: Investigation of a complaint against a senior officer - 17|2009
This investigation was prompted by a review of a complaint against a senior officer in the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in which it was alleged that the officer misused their position in the AFP to send AFP officers to intervene on a relative’s behalf in a property dispute in the ACT.
- Nov 2009: Administration of the Economic Security Strategy Payment: An examination of the implementation, monitoring and review of the scheme - 16|2009
Report by the Ombudsman on the administration of the Economic Security Strategy Payment – an examination of the implementation, monitoring and review of the scheme.
- Oct 2009: Australian Crime Commission: Review of collection, storage and dissemination of information - 15|2009
Conflicting and out–of–date internal information policies, multiple databases with varying degrees of security and low staff morale increased the risk of confidential Australian Crime Commission (ACC) intelligence falling into the wrong hands, according to Commonwealth Ombudsman Professor John McMillan.
- Aug 2009: Australian Federal Police and the Child Support Agency, Department of Human Services: Caught between two agencies: the case of Mrs X - 14|2009
Few individual complaints that the Ombudsman investigates culminate in a formal report. Publication of a report can involve an unreasonable disclosure of personal information about the person who complained to us, or related third parties. However, the case of Mrs X holds lessons for all Commonwealth agencies that administer programs or deliver services in cooperation with other organisations. That explains the decision to publish this abridged report.
- Aug 2009: Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry: Compliance and investigations activities of the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) - 13|2009
This report is the first in a series outlining the results of investigations into the work of the CIU. It reviews CIU policies, procedures, case management systems and quality assurance processes.
- Aug 2009: Executive schemes - 12|2009
Governments must have legal authority to take the actions they do, much of which comes from legislative power, but many ordinary activities are carried out under Executive power.
- Aug 2009: Putting things right: compensating for defective administration—Administration of decision-making under the scheme for compensation for detriment caused by defective administration - 11|2009
Ombudsman report—Putting things right: compensating for defective administration—Administration of decision-making under the scheme for Compensation for Detriment caused by Defective Administration.
- Jul 2009: Department of Immigration and Citizenship—Invalid visa applications - 10|2009
Report by Commonwealth Ombudsman on DIAC administration and handling of invalid visa applications.
- Jun 2009: Australia Post—Administration of the Mail Redirection Service - 07|2009
Commonwealth Ombudsman; Postal Industry:
Report by the Ombudsman on Australia Posts administration of the mail redirection service.