Organisation and structure
The national office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman and the office of the ACT Ombudsman are co-located in Canberra. The Commonwealth Ombudsman also has offices in Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.
The Ombudsman and Deputy Ombudsman are statutory officers appointed under the Ombudsman
Act 1976. Staff are employed under the Public Service Act 1999. The office comprises a range of functional elements:
- Central office functions and responsibilities (including human
resources, information technology, financial services, records management
and public relations) and the principal specialist teams are based in the
national office in Canberra.
- Offices throughout Australia handle complaints and undertake
some specialist work. A Senior Assistant Ombudsman supervises the Adelaide,
Brisbane, Darwin, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney offices, as well as
complaint handling relating to the ACT Ombudsman function.
Five Senior Assistant Ombudsmen manage the specialist teams located in the national office, one of whom also provides general oversight for our State offices. The specialist teams are:
- ACT Regional Team—dual role in complaint handling relating to
Australian Government and ACT Government departments and agencies
- Defence Team—specialised advice and complaint handling relating
to the Australian Defence Force, the Defence Housing Authority and the Department
of Veterans' Affairs
- Immigration Team—specialised advice and complaint handling relating
to the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs
- Law Enforcement and Inspections Team—complaint handling, monitoring
and investigation of law enforcement activities relating to Australian Government
law enforcement agencies
- Social Support Team—specialised advice and complaint handling
relating to the Department of Human Services (including Centrelink and the
Child Support Agency) and relevant policy departments
- Taxation Team—specialised advice and complaint handling relating
to the Australian Taxation Office, under the supervision of the Ombudsman's
Special Tax Adviser.
Figure 2.1 illustrates the organisational structure of the Ombudsman's office.
FIGURE 2.1 Commonwealth Ombudsman
organisational structure 2004–05