This privacy statement applies to your interactions with Commonwealth Ombudsman website (www.ombudsman.gov.au). This statement discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices that are set out in accordance with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.
The Commonwealth Ombudsman is committed to the protection of your privacy in accordance with the Federal Privacy Commissioner's Guidelines for Federal and ACT Government World Wide Websites. These guidelines outline the requirements for transparent collection, appropriate and ethical use and secure storage of personal information. Our aim is to provide an online environment which will ensure the information you provide to us is handled in a secure, efficient and confidential manner.
When visiting this site, a record of your visit is logged. This ‘clickstream data’ is recorded for statistical purposes only and is used to help improve this website. The following information is supplied by your browser (eg: Internet Explorer):
- the user's server address
- the user's operating system (for example Windows, Mac etc)
- the user's top level domain name (for example .com, .edu, .gov, .au, .uk etc)
- the date and time of the visit to the site
- the pages accessed and the documents downloaded
- the previous site visited,
- the type of browser used.
This information is used for statistical purposes only. No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency (or other government agency) exercises a legal authority to inspect Internet Service Provider (ISP) logs (eg. by warrant, subpoena or notice to produce).
Collection of personal information
When you e-mail us:
- we will record your e-mail address
- we will only use your e-mail address for the purpose for which you provided it
- it will not be added to a mailing list, unless provided by you specifically for that purpose
- we will not use your e-mail address for any other purpose
- we will not disclose it without your consent.
This site does not generally provide facilities for the secure transmission of information across the Internet. The only exception to this is that users can submit complaints using our online complaint form which uses an encrypted connection, provided by the SSL/TLS protocol. None the less, users should be aware that there are inherent risks in transmitting information across the Internet. As an alternative, users are able to write to:
GPO Box 442, Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: 1300 362 072
Fax: 02 6276 0123
Links to other sites
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, your dealings with the Commonwealth Ombudsman, or this website, please contact us.