The activities of the Ombudsman’s office are governed by a number of Commonwealth and ACT laws.
The most important of these are the Ombudsman Act 1976, Freedom of Information Act 1982,Australian Federal Police Act 1979, Telecommunications (Interception) Act 1979, and the ACT’sOmbudsman Act 1989 and Freedom of Information Act 1989. More detailed information about our responsibilities under these laws is provided through the links below.
- Australian Capital Territory
- Australian Federal Police
- Commonwealth jurisdiction
- Controlled operations and surveillance devices
- Defence Force Ombudsman
- Freedom of Information (FOI)
- Immigration Ombudsman
- Postal Industry Ombudsman
- Telecommunications interception and access
- Legislation and legal information