Making a complaint
What's your complaint about?
Go to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman: www.tio.com.au - 1800 062 058.
Go to the Financial Ombudsman Service: www.fos.org.au - 1300 78 08 08.
Go to the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA): www.acma.gov.au.
Go to the Energy and Water Ombudsman for your state or territory:
- NSW: www.ewon.com.au - 1800 246 545
- VIC: www.ewov.com.au - 1800 500 509
- QLD: www.ewoq.com.au - 1800 662 837
- SA: www.eiosa.com.au - 1800 665 565
- WA: www.ombudsman.wa.gov.au/energy - 1800 754 004
- TAS: www.energyombudsman.tas.gov.au - 1800 001 170
- NT: www.ombudsman.nt.gov.au - 1800 806 380
- ACT: www.acat.act.gov.au - (02) 6207 1740.
Go to the Ombudsman for your state or territory:
- NSW: www.ombo.nsw.gov.au - 1800 451 524 or 02 9286 1000
- VIC: www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au - 1800 451 524 (regional) or 03 9613 6222
- QLD: www.ombudsman.qld.gov.au - 07 3005 7000
- SA: www.ombudsman.sa.gov.au - 1800 182 150 (non-metro) or 08 8226 8699 (metro)
- WA: www.ombudsman.wa.gov.au - 1800 117 000 (non-metro) or 08 9220 7555
- TAS: www.ombudsman.tas.gov.au - 1800 001 170 or 1300 766 725 (from outside TAS)
- NT: www.omb-hcscc.nt.gov.au - 08 8999 1818
- ACT: www.ombudsman.act.gov.au - 1300 362 072.
The Commonwealth Ombudsman deals with...
Complaints about Commonwealth Government departments and agencies, and is also the Ombudsman for:
- the Defence Force
- Law Enforcement
- the Postal Industry (see www.pio.gov.au)
- the Australian Capital Territory (see ombudsman.act.gov.au)
- Overseas Students in private education and training (see www.oso.gov.au).
Make a complaint to the Commonwealth Ombudsman
Enquiries 9am - 5pm (AEST) Monday to Friday - 1300 362 072 (Not a toll-free number. Calls from mobile phones are charged at mobile phone rates.)
Complaints can be made in writing, by phone, in person or by using our online complaint form.
You can view our Privacy Statement here.
If you do not want to make the complaint yourself, you can ask someone else, such as a solicitor, tax agent or family member, to submit a complaint for you. To do so, you can contact the Ombudsman's office personally, either: by e-mail to email@example.com, by letter to GPO Box 442 Canberra ACT 2601, or by fax to (02) 6276 0123.
Alternatively you can complete our Permission for another person to act on my behalf' form and return it to the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
If you are making a complaint on behalf of someone else, we may contact them to confirm they have given you consent to act on their behalf. We will need to contact them to confirm details of the complaint.
Note: In order to use the online complaint form, you need to have the Adobe Reader installed. If you don't already have it, you can download the latest Adobe Reader version for free from the Adobe website.
Our offices are located in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. If you are still having problems accessing the form, please contact our office on 1300 362 072.