Due to a large number of complaints the Commonwealth Ombudsman has received in relation to the VET FEE-HELP scheme and VET Student Loans program, it is taking some time to progress individual matters. One of our officers will aim to contact you within six (6) weeks of submitting your complaint. If you have not heard from the Ombudsman’s Office after six weeks, please contact us for an update on 1300 362 072.
Where possible, you should first approach your provider with your complaint. You can contact our Office if you are still dissatisfied at the end of the provider’s complaint process.
If your provider has closed and you are unable to follow their internal complaints process, you can read our fact sheet ‘What to do if your provider closes’ which explains the available options.
If you were unaware you had a VET student loan debt and therefore do not know the identity of your provider, our officers will help you with this when they contact you.
To assist us in considering your complaint, please be ready to provide the following information:
- your full name and date of birth
- any previous names you have used
- your address, at the time you undertook your study
- your current address
- your debt amount, if known
- your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN), if known
- Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF) or Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) for your studies
- any letter of offer, enrolment letters or emails from the provider
- any cancellation or withdrawal letters or emails from the provider
- any other correspondence with your provider that you think is related to your complaint
- the outcome you are seeking by approaching our Office.