The Commonwealth Ombudsman has received complaints about the automated employment income data matching system being used by Centrelink and has commenced an own motion investigation.
The following information may be of assistance to users of the system:
- General information from the Department of Human Services about their compliance program and employment income checks is available on their website www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/employment-income-confirmation
- Call the Department of Human Services compliance number 1800 086 400 if you are experiencing difficulty with your Centrelink online account.
- You may ask the Department of Human Services for a review by an Authorised Review Officer if an adverse decision is made
- Call DHS Feedback and Complaints on 1800 132 468 if you wish to give feedback or make a complaint
- If you need legal advice contact your local National Social Security Rights Network organisations www.nssrn.org.au or Legal Aid www.nationallegalaid.org
- Visit the NSSRN website for factsheets to assist with these issues www.nssrn.org.au/factsheets/
- Visit the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website for information about what to do if you are contacted by a debt collector: www.accc.gov.au/publications/debt-collection-guideline-for-collectors-creditors
- Visit the National Debt Helpline for information to assist with managing debt www.ndh.org.au