Helpful information about Centrelink complaints

If you haven’t complained to Centrelink, you need to do this first.

We are more likely to investigate a problem if you have tried to resolve your complaint with Centrelink. You can complain to Centrelink online by clicking here.

You should allow Centrelink 10 days to respond to your complaint.  If you are not satisfied with Centrelink’s response to your complaint, you can contact us.

Always ask for a Centrelink complaint reference number so that you have a record of your complaint.  We will ask you for this if we decide to investigate your complaint.

If you can’t get through to Centrelink on the phone, we suggest making contact:

  • Online or in writing (click here), or
  • By asking Centrelink to call you back (click here)

If you are making a complaint about a Centrelink decision, you may be able to have it reviewed.

Most Centrelink decisions can be reviewed by an Authorised Review Officer. Here are some examples of when you can request a review:

  • Centrelink says you owe a debt
  • Centrelink has rejected your claim
  • Centrelink doesn’t agree to back pay you
  • Centrelink has reduced, suspended or cancelled your payment.

You can find information about requesting a Centrelink review by clicking here.

What if Centrelink have reviewed my decision, and I still disagree?

If you disagree with a decision by a Centrelink Authorised Review Officer, you may be able to ask the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) to review the decision. For more information click here.

If your issue is about Centrelink's online income data matching system click here.