Private Health Insurance Quarterly Bulletins
- Quarterly Bulletin 82: 1 January 2017 to 31 March 2017 - New Commonwealth Ombudsman, increase in private health insurance complaints, and top 5 consumer complaint issues.
- Quarterly Bulletin 81: 1 October 2016 to 31 December 2016 - Australian Dental Association Campaign, Policies that Provide Benefits for “Minor” Knee Procedures, Clarification on the Number of Policies Available to Consumers.
- Quarterly Bulletin 80: 1 July 2016 to 30 September 2016 - Medibank Private Complaints in the September 2016 Quarter, BUPA Pre-existing Condition Assessments, and Commonwealth Ombudsman Annual Report released.
- Quarterly Bulletin 79: 1 April 2016 to 30 June 2016 - Top 5 consumer complaint issues this quarter, and pre-existing condition Assessments,
- Quarterly Bulletin 78: 1 January 2016 to 31 March 2016 - Complaint Statistics and Workload, Top 5 Consumer Complaint Issues, Investigation into Plastic & Reconstructive Treatment and “Pre-Assessing” by Health Insurers, Waiting period for Obstetrics, Changes for Norfolk Island residents, Overseas Students Ombudsman
- All Quarterly Bulletins
Annual Report 2015-16 Additional Information
Facts and Advice
- Obstetrics and Pregnancy - questions to ask your insurer if you're planning to start a family
- Podiatric Surgery - cover for surgical treatment from podiatric surgeons
- Membership Arrears - keeping your policy payments up to date
- Diabetic Insulin Pumps - how private health insurance covers insulin pumps
- Orthodontic Treatment - what it involves and how it's covered by private health insurance
- Clearance Certificates - What to do if transferring between insurers
- Dental and Oral Surgery - how private health insurance covers dental surgery
- Informed Financial Consent - your right to ask about fees when going to hospital
- Assisted Reproductive Services - what can be covered for IVF, GIFT and related services
- The Pre-Existing Conditions Rule - how it applies and PHIO's role in complaints
- Health Insurance Premium Increases - the reasons and processes behind premium increases
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - items your policy may not cover
- Policy Exclusions and Restrictions - what isn't covered on your policy
- Mental Health Treatment and Private Health Insurance - cover for psychiatric services, rehabilitation and psychology
- The Right to Change - A consumer guide to transferring from one health insurance product to another
- 10 Golden Rules of Private Health Insurance - Ten tips to help avoid problems with your health insurance
- About Our Service - PHIO's commitment to service
- Making A Complaint - What to do if you want to make a complaint
- Health Insurance Choice - Choosing a Health Insurance Policy
- Privatehealth.gov.au - Australia's leading independent source of information about private health insurance.
- Lifetime Health Cover: What you need to know - The rules about Lifetime Health Cover loading
- Private Patients' Hospital Charter - Know your rights and responsibilities as a private patient in hospital
- Making a complaint - What to do if you want to make a complaint
- Brochure on Doctors Bills - Managing doctor's bills and potential out-of-pocket costs
- Waiting Periods for Health Insurance - How and why waiting periods work, including pre-existing conditions
Health Insurance Insider
- Health Insurance Insider Issue #8 - March 2016
Decoding private health insurance - Common Phrases in Australian Private Health Insurance
- Health Insurance Insider Issue #7 - June 2015
Find out more about planning a family and private health insurance. This issue also includes information about PHIO's transfer to the Commonwealth Ombudsman from 1 July 2015.
- Health Insurance Insider Issue #6 - October 2014
Exclusions and restrictions - what treatments aren't covered by your health insurance policy? What are the potential risks of taking on a lower level of insurance?
- All Health Insurnce Insider