This page is for private education providers with international student enrolments
Standard 8 of the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2017 requires private education providers with international student enrolments to have a complaints and appeals process and policy in place for students to exercise their right to access an external appeals process. This page includes information and resources for private education providers to assist them in meeting this requirement.
What we do
The Commonwealth Ombudsman is a free dispute resolution service for private education providers and their international students. Private education providers can refer international students to us after the student has exhausted their right to an internal appeal through their provider and the student is dissatisfied with the outcome (see basic dispute resolution pathway below).
|Our service is free, independent and impartial|
We provide information and resources about best practice complaint-handling to help private education providers manage internal complaints effectively.
Basic dispute resolution pathway
What providers should consider when handling a student’s a complaint
- Check your records for a copy of the written agreement signed by the student.
- Ensure the written agreement is compliant with the National Code and broader Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) legislative framework.
- In making a decision, providers should be guided by their policy, the National Code and ESOS legislative framework.
- Use our resources and National Code Fact Sheets published by the Department of Education.
- Contact the ESOS Policy Team Mailbox using the online enquiry form or call 1300 615 262.
- Consider reviewing and updating your policies if they are not working for you and your students.
- Refer students to our information for international students page.
What happens when a student lodges a dispute with us?
Read our fact sheet: What to expect if a student contacts us
Resources for education providers
- Better practice complaint-handling guide for education providers
- Complaint-handling at universities: Australasian best practice guidelines
- Reports and submissions
- Subscribe to the Overseas Students provider e-newsletter
We also have resources to help your students. Check out our International Student page.
Can't find what you are looking for or still have questions? Contact us