The Ombudsman undertakes a specific role defined in the PID Act for the whole of the Australian Government. The information provided here is only for those wishing to make an internal Public Interest Disclosure; that is:
- the disclosure is about this agency (the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman)
- by a person who is or has been a public official
- to their supervisor or manager, or an Authorised Officer of the Office, and
- the information tends to show, or the discloser believes on reasonable grounds the information tends to show, one or more instances of disclosable conduct.
Section 59 of the PID Act requires the Ombudsman (as a Principal Officer under the PID Act) to establish procedures for facilitating and dealing with Public Interest Disclosures relating to the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
If you would like to make a PID about the Ombudsman's office you should do one of the following:
- Write to the Ombudsman at GPO Box 442, Canberra ACT 2601. You should mark any envelopes or external covers 'Confidential-Ombudsman PID' and address them to the 'PID Team'.
- Email the Ombudsman at PID@ombudsman.gov.au. In the subject line, you should indicate that your PID is about the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
- Phone the Ombudsman's office on 1300 362 072 and follow the relevant prompts.
While you are not required to make a PID in writing, there can be benefits in doing so. Setting things out in writing gives you the opportunity to carefully and clearly set out the particular issues you have, without the risk of anything relevant being missed or misunderstood. If there is any confusion or uncertainty surrounding a written PID, an appropriate Ombudsman officer can, if you provide your contact details, call you to clarify matters.
An Authorised Officer will be responsible for handling your PID in the first instance. For general information on what will happen with your PID, please see the Procedures for facilitating and dealing with public interest disclosures relating to the Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman.
For further information or assistance regarding the Public Interest Disclosure (PID), phone 02 6276 5777 or email PID@ombudsman.gov.au