The Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman safeguards the community in its dealings with the Australian Government. We also have oversight of some private sector organisations.
If an Australian Government agency has treated you unfairly or unreasonably, we can help you find a solution. Our service is free and we are independent.
We make sure the actions of agencies are fair and responsible by:
- handling complaints
- conducting investigations
- performing audits and inspections
- encouraging good administration.
We have the following specialist roles:
- Private Health Insurance
- Overseas Students
- VET Student Loans
- the Postal Industry
- the Defence Force
- Law Enforcement
- the Australian Capital Territory Ombudsman
We are also responsible for:
- oversight of the Commonwealth Public Interest Disclosure scheme
- inspection and monitoring of certain covert and intrusive powers by police and other law enforcement agencies.
We also have an International program to promote:
- best practice in complaint handling
- good government administration within our region.
We cannot override the decisions of the agencies we deal with. We resolve disputes through consultation and negotiation