On 14 November 1994 the Senate agreed to a motion by Senator Harradine requiring all Australian government departments and agencies to produce an indexed list of files every six months for tabling before Parliament. The production of the list is intended to make the operations of government more transparent to the Australian public.
As part of the Governments' ongoing commitment to give Australians greater access to relevant government information quickly and easily, the original Senate Order was amended in 1998 and now requires departments to also list these files on their websites.
The lists are tabled twice a year:
- Spring sitting - files created in the preceding July to December
- Autumn sitting - files created in the preceding January to June
- Administrative Files: January–June 2018
- Administrative Files: July–December 2017
- Administrative Files: January–June 2017
- Administrative Files: July–December 2016